Monday, January 9, 2012

Chapter 45 - That Was Quick!

"Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to
entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained
angels unawares.”

—Hebrews 13:1–2

While on furlough and living in Jacksonville,
Florida, we enjoyed dining at S & S Cafeteria
for lunch. One day we noticed another couple
dining not too far from us. As we continued to enjoy
our meal, a nudge came from the Lord to pay for
the couple’s meal. Lord, you know they have the
money to pay for their meal. They are wearing neat
clothing and looking prosperous. I’m a missionary
and almost broke, I argued with the Lord.
     The impression, however, would not leave. My
wife and I finished our meal and went to pay our
check. This same couple came right up behind us.
The Lord was still prodding me to pay for their
meal; I was still trying to get out of it. I handed my
check to the cashier then turned around and asked
the couple, “May I pay for your meal?” They were
stunned, but they handed me their check, thanked
me, and headed out the door.
    When we walked outside, the couple was waiting
for us. The man introduced himself and his wife and
then asked, “Why did you pay for our meal?”
I explained that I was impressed of the Lord
to do so. He thanked me again and said, “I’m the
pastor of a church right down the road. This is the
first time that I have had anyone right out of the blue
pay for our meal.” He thanked me again and said
that this act was a real blessing to them. I told him
I enjoyed doing it and hoped maybe he would pass
on the favor one day to someone else. We never saw
this pastor and his wife again, but I am happy that I
obeyed the voice of the Lord.
    Another time at the same cafeteria, we had just
gotten our food and was looking for a table when
we spotted a couple we knew, R. D. and his wife
attended the same church that we were attending
while in Jacksonville. They asked us to eat with
them and while we were eating, the Lord prompted
me to pay for their meal. This time I did not argue
with the Lord. As we finished eating, I took their
ticket and headed to the cashier before they had
time to refuse our offer.
    After we paid their ticket, R. D. and his wife
were waiting outside for us. He objected that I did
not have to pay for their meal, but I insisted that the
Lord had impressed it upon my heart. They thanked
us, and Linda and I went home.
    Upon arriving home I checked the mail. There
was a letter from a church. The letter read, “The
Lord has impressed upon our hearts to send you this
small love offering of two hundred dollars.” My
wife and I talked about the two times we had blessed
someone at the cafeteria and marveled, “Isn’t that
like our Lord?”
    When we are a blessing to someone else, He
blesses us tenfold in return. We have never been
able to outgive God!

(Copyright by Jay B Ayers)

No comments:

Post a Comment