Friday, March 23, 2012

Chapter 60 - The Mad Dog!

Matthew 28:18-20

“And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”     

      While attending Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga, Tennessee we were required to attend Highland Park Baptist Church for the first year. We would go soul winning on Thursday night after being provided a delicious meal. The main reason for going out, of course, was that people needed to know Jesus as their Savior.
     One particular night a partner and I went out to a certain section of the city while it was still light outside. We drove up to a house where it looked as though no one was at home. When no one is at home we would leave a literature hanger on the door. I alone went to the door, and then heard some noise from the rear of the house.  Thinking someone was at the back; I started down the side of the house and could not believe what I was seeing.
     I froze in my tracts and was staring at the biggest, blackest, meanest looking Do  berman I had ever seen. I looked back at the car and back at the dog.  “Run!”  But my legs would not more an inch. My partner in the car shook his head as if to say, “You’re on your own with this one.”  The dog was so mad that he was biting the air and running straight toward me, madder than any dog I had ever seen. I froze like a Popsicle that had been in the freezer for months. 
     Why was the dog so mad? I had done nothing to him. My heart was about to beat out of my chest and sweat was beginning to pop up on my forehead. Fear gripped me and would not let me go.  “Help, Lord,” was all I could think of. All of this happened in a flash. The dogs breathe smelled by now. His eyes were that of a mad dog who wanted revenge and it looked like he had zeroed in on his victim. He was about a dog’s length from me when suddenly a man came around the corner from the back and yelled, “Whoa boy.”  The dog seemingly stopped in mid air and I said, “Thank you, Lord!”                
     The man walked up to where his dog was growling, slobbering, and shaking his big old head and asked, “May I help you?”  “I’m out visiting from Highland Park Baptist Church and I would like to invite you to come to church.”  I handed him a gospel tract and calmly, yea right, walked back to the car. 
     It took me awhile to get my composure back. Then we headed off to another house and this time I made sure that someone was home and no dog before getting out. From that time until now, I’m very cautious about dogs, especially big, black, growling, slobbering at the mouth dogs who wanted revenge for no reason, as I saw it

No comments:

Post a Comment