Friday, November 25, 2011

Chapter 2 - A Move With Reassurance

“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean
not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways
acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”

—Proverbs 3:5–6

After my salvation we started attending a local
church in Winston-Salem, North Carolina,
and there I was baptized. Linda who was already
baptized at White Plains Baptist Church in Mount
Airy, North Carolina, began working in the church
bus ministry, which was led by John Shore. For five
months, we were blessed to work in this ministry. It
greatly prepared us for a future bus ministry that we
knew nothing of at the time.
    Soon after the Lord saved my soul and instructed
me to study His Word and preach, we place our new
house up for sale. From March to July of 1978, a
number of realtors came by and wanted to list our
house for us. We told them if the Lord wanted us to
move, then He would sell it for us; any profit made
would then be ours to help pay for the move. They
answered doubtfully, “You’ll never sell it.” Well,
we didn’t know whether we would sell it or not,
but we knew when the Lord sold it, then that would
reassure us that we were on the right track of doing
His will.
    Around the first of August, 1978, God sold our
house in King, North Carolina, and we made a
profit of five thousand dollars. Surely that would be
enough to make our move. We started packing the
next day, and it didn’t take long.
    Now we needed a truck.
    Truck rental prices were too high. A friend of
mine was in the trucking business. I asked him
where I could get a truck at a reasonable price.
Benny answered, “Right out there sits one.”
    How much are you asking?
    Benny said, “Take the truck and bring it back, it
will cost you nothing.”
    Praise the Lord, what a blessing! This surely bolstered
my faith. I thanked Benny and was off to find
a driver because we had a car and needed a driver
for the truck.
    I visited my sister, Gladys, and brother-in-law,
Ken, and was sharing with them my need for a truck
driver to Chattanooga.
    Ken quickly remarked, “I can do that. I’ll take
my vacation next week and we’ll all go.” Praise the
Lord! He was working everything out for this move
to Bible School to study His Word.
    Soon our belongings were packed into the truck,
and we were off headed for Tennessee to attend
Bible School, but not without a small delay. When
we arrived at the top of Black Mountain about three
in the morning, the truck quit running. The weather
was foggy and raining, not a good night to be
driving. My brother-in-law, a mechanic, soon determined
the fuel pump had gone out. At this time in
the morning, nothing was open. We decided to sleep
a few hours in our vehicles. Around eight the next
morning, we purchased a fuel pump, put it on, and
continued our journey.
    In Chattanooga we had rented an upstairs apartment
at Battery Heights Apartments. When we
arrived, the landlord would not let the truck back
up on the Grass; therefore, we had to carry all our
belongings quite a distance. It was hotter than a
two-dollar pistol on this particular day, and I began
feeling ill and had to lie down as the others finished
unloading the truck. Gladys and Ken left as soon as
we were finished and returned the truck to Benny.
Praise the Lord! We were now in Chattanooga preparing
to enroll at Tennessee Temple Schools to
study the Word of God!

Where He leads me I will follow!

(Copyright by Jay B Ayers)

No comments:

Post a Comment