Sunday, November 27, 2011

Chapter 4 - Graduation and Beyond

“…but as for me and my house, we will serve the
LORD.”


—Joshua 24:15



The day was beautiful in Chattanooga.,
Tennessee. The auditorium of Highland Park
Baptist Church was filled to the brim. All the days
and nights of studying, cramming for exams, and
sometimes staying up all night had paid off. It was
graduation day and the pressure was gone away!
Praise the Lord!
   When we had first arrived at Tennessee Temple
University, I had set the goal of walking across
the platform to receive my diploma from Dr. Lee
Roberson. The long-awaited day had finally arrived,
and I was a time for rejoicing. My name was called,
and I felt like a million dollars as I walked up on
stage having Dr. Roberson award me the diploma
for which I had worked three long years! The glory
goes to the Lord for that accomplishment because
without Him, it would have never occurred.
    That day was only the beginning. We did not
know what lay ahead for us but we did know the
One who held the future in His hand. After graduation
I talked with some men at the mission board
about what the Lord had impressed upon my heart
to do. They sent me to talk to the field director for
Africa, Dr. Dan Truax He was a very pleasant man
and we discussed the possibility of our working in
Ghana, West Africa. However, that country was
closed at that time because of war. The director suggested
we go to Ivory Coast, West Africa, and work
with Ghanaian refugees until Ghana opened. We
prayed about it and believed that the Lord would
have us to do that.
    The mission board owned a twenty-seven foot
travel trailer that they sold to us on payments. We
planned to use it for our deputation to the field.
It needed much work but we bought it anyway,
trusting the Lord would supply the need for the
repairs. We owned a van but did not think it would
pull the trailer; we traded the van for a Suburban
with a 454 engine in it. The fuel mileage on this
vehicle was only 5 miles per gallon until I installed
a Holley carburetor on it, boosting its yield to 10
miles per gallon.
    We hooked the trailer to the Suburban and headed
to our apartment at Battery Heights. We sold everything
except what we could fit into the trailer, which
was not much, and prepared for our deputation.
    Our first goal had been accomplished. By God’s
grace, I had received my degree in theology, and
Linda had received her degree in “Pushing Hubby
Through.” We were now ready for our next adventure
for the Lord. If it was anything like the first
three years, it was going to be a grand adventure!

We'll work till Jesus comes!

(Copyright by Jay B Ayers)

No comments:

Post a Comment