Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chapter 7 - Stand Still and Let God Move

“…Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord,…”


—Exodus 14:13



On a cool November day in 1982, we were
driving home from Chattanooga after a visit
with our mission board. Little did we realize a test
of faith lay ahead.
    Still on deputation, Linda and I and our three
children (nine-year-old Angie, six-year-old Jr., and
two-year-old Joy) were headed across Interstate 81
through Wytheville, Virginia, before turning south
toward our home in North Carolina. We had run out
of money sometime earlier when I had used the last
of it for gas, and now our fuel was very low.
    Not wanting to run out of gas on the interstate,
We decided before reaching Wytheville that we
would stop to see a pastor friend for whom I had
preached a revival and who supported our ministry.
This friend owned a cattle farm and had a big gas
tank at the farm. When I preached for him earlier,
he had filled up our tank. Our plan was to ask him
to let us have enough fuel to make it home; then we
would send him the money to pay for the fuel.
    We arrived at his home, but to our dismay, no
one was there. Our hopes melted away as quickly as
a snowball in a hot oven. What to do now was the
dilemma we faced. We did not want to get back on
the interstate and run out of gas. We discussed our
problem for a while and decided to head down the
service road. Soon we saw an Esso (Exxon, now)
service station, but although we had located gas, we
still had no money to pay for it. We parked the car
and just sat there, wondering what to do next.
    Even if we had no money, we certainly did have
prayer, which was the best possible avenue in the first
place. So pray we did. After prayer it was decided I
should go in and talk with the owner of the station
to see if he would help us. Never having been in this
particular situation before, I wasn’t quite sure what
to say, but I headed in anyway. Haltingly asking the
woman behind the counter if I could speak with the
owner, she said he was not in. My heart sank, but
I will admit I was also a little relieved as I headed
back to the car.
    Not knowing what else to do, we waited and
watched for the owner. About an hour later, a man
whom we thought might be the owner went into
the station. My hunch was right, and I related my
story to him and asked if he would allow us to have
enough gas to get home. I even offered to leave
my license with him until sending him the money.
Praying all the while that he might help us, but he
refused.
    Well, it was back to the car and the old drawing
board to see if we could come up with another plan.
We were in a bind and certainly needed help. We sat
there for a while; everyone coming out of the store
seemed to look our way. We prayed again, and this
time the Lord brought a verse to my mind:

“Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the
LORD,…”

Exodus. 14:13

    Knowing right then that the Lord was going to
do something.
    After this verse came to my mind, the store
owner exited the station and walked toward us. I
told Linda and the children that he was either going
to run us off or offer to help us. I did not get out
of the car but rolled the window down a little, not
knowing what to expect. Walking up to the window,
he asked, “Do you know Pastor Clayton?”
    “Yes, he is a pastor friend of ours.” Now getting
out of the car, I knew something was about to
happen.
    The owner then continued, saying, “I was in the
store and wondering if what you were telling me was
true. I told everyone who came into the store your
story, and asked them what they thought should I
help you or not? While I was telling one man your
story, he looked out the window and said, “I know
those people. They are missionaries to Africa.”
    Then the storeowner explained that the man
was Pastor Clayton’s son and he had said for us to
fill up with gas, then go inside, and get some food
and drink. He said he would pay for it all. We were
praising the Lord and as happy as birds singing on
a spring day. We did what the storeowner instructed
and then walked over to the pastor’s son. Giving
him a big thank you, we were all smiles. With a full
gas tank and full bellies, we headed back onto the
interstate, praising the Lord for what had transpired.
Our faith had taken a giant leap forward as we stood
still and watched God move.

Standing on the promise of Christ my King!

(Copyright by Jay B Ayers)

No comments:

Post a Comment