Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chapter 34 - Starvin' Marvins

“...Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat?
And this he said to prove him: for he himself knew
what he would do.”

—John 6:5–6

The Ayers were traveling again—this time to
Chattanooga, Tennessee. We were on furlough,
and the mission board liked for its missionaries on
furlough to attend candidate school and freshen up
on any recent changes. We had left home in North
Carolina late in the evening after an outstanding
meal but had enough money for gas. Unless the
Lord intervened, there would be no more food or
place to lodge upon arrival.
    Since the evening was getting late and we were
growing too tired to drive any farther, we pulled
over and slept in the van, arriving in Chattanooga
the next day. When missionaries visited the mission
board, they were expected to provide for their
own food and lodging. We had no idea where we
would get the funds necessary for these things. At
the mission board, I was told there was no available
lodging in town because so many missionaries were
in. I explained our situation to them, but to no avail.
How could I go back to my wife and children
and explain such a predicament? I was supposed to
be their provider, but that day I felt I had let them
down. I prayed a silent prayer, Lord, I sure do need
your help at this moment, and then headed back to
the van. I informed my wife and children that we
had no place to lodge for the next two nights, but
they did not say a word. Thinking they were upset
with me I hesitantly asked, “Does anyone have a
suggestion?”
    Surprisingly, they spoke up and said, “We’re all
hungry. Let’s go get a steak.” I knew they wanted
to go to Bonanza Steakhouse because that restaurant
had a $1.99 lunch special. I calmly explained
that we did not have any money, but my wife was
grinning from ear to ear. Then Linda said, “Honey,
you will not believe this, but while you were inside
the office, a man came over to talk with us. As he
was getting ready to walk away, he gave me some
money and said, “The Lord has impressed upon my
heart to give you a hundred dollars.” With that, she
handed over the prettiest hundred-dollar bill I had
ever seen!
    I know there were tears running from my eyes,
even though I knew, of course, that men are not
supposed to cry! How could I have ever thought
the Lord would let us down? By now we were all
rejoicing and praising and feeling like the richest
people in the world. We headed over to the Bonanza
Steakhouse and relished a great meal, the $1.99
special. You know, food seems to taste much better
when you are really hungry.
    With the remainder of the money, we were able
to get a motel room, buy food for the next two days,
and even have enough left to purchase fuel for the
trip back to North Carolina. You must remember,
back in the eighties, a hundred-dollar bill went a loo-
o-o-ng way.

No comments:

Post a Comment