Thursday, December 29, 2011

Chapter 36 - The Collect Call and $3,000

“Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall
strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.”

—Psalm 27:14

We were at a local church in Cumming,
Georgia, to present our ministry to Ivory
Coast. I showed slides and preached, and our family
sang a couple of songs. We even had a question and
answer time. It was a great service. The pastor
closed the service and arranged for us to lodge with
Brother  Gilstrap and his wife that night. They were
a great host and hostess. They fed us and took really
good care of us. We had a great time of fellowship
with them that evening.
    The next morning it was snowing in Cumming.
Brother Gilstrap fixed us a delicious breakfast, since
his wife had to go to work early. We loaded up our
luggage, thanked him for his hospitality, and headed
off driving into the snow. That was the last time we
saw Brother Gilstrap.
    During the month of December, my wife and I
wrestled with the thought that maybe the Lord did
not want us to return to Africa as missionaries. We
were on furlough and due to return to Ivory Coast
as soon as we accumulated the finances for the trip.
At the same time, a church was considering me for
pastor, and we were torn between the two decisions.
Should we stay in the States and pastor, if the church
called, or should we go back to Abengourou and
restart the church that had closed when we returned
to the United States on medical furlough? We asked
the Lord to show us what to do.
    On January 1, New Year’s Day, I received a collect
call from Georgia. I wondered who would be
calling me collect from Georgia and, I will admit,
thinking that whoever it was probably had more
money than I and surely could have called me
on their own dime. I reluctantly accepted the call
and recognized the voice of Brother Gilstrap. We
greeted each other, and then he said the sweetest
words: “The Lord has impressed upon our hearts to
give you three thousand dollars to help with your
shipping to Africa.”
    Right then we had our answer from God: get
back to Africa! As a family we all praised the Lord.
I thanked Brother Gilstrap and his wife and said
good-bye. We now had peace like a river that the
Lord did indeed want us to return to Africa to spread
the gospel of Jesus Christ.

(Copyright by Jay B Ayers)

No comments:

Post a Comment