Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Chapter 35 - Hidden Money Saves the Day

“It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD,
and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: to
shew forth thy loving kindness in the morning, and
thy faithfulness every night,”

—Psalm 92:1–2

Clyde, Ohio, was a long distance from Winston-
Salem, North Carolina. We had never been
there, but we had a mission conference to attend
where we would present our ministry in Africa. We
loaded up and headed off early to get there in one
day.
    When we arrived, we were informed that we
would be staying with the mission pastor and his
family. Going to a mission conference is stressful
enough without having to lodge with the mission
pastor and his family, but now we would really have
to be on our best behavior because we were there
not only to be a blessing but also to raise monthly
support. We sighed with relief, however, when we
learned that the mission pastor’s children were near
the same ages of our children. I knew we were all in
for a good time and that I could relax a bit.
    The mission conference was going great. There
was one day set aside for recreation, and we were
all going to King’s Island Theme Park in Cincinnati,
Ohio. We left early in the morning. Upon arriving,
the teens went one way, and the adults and children
went another. We all agreed to meet at a certain
place and time. It was a long, hot day, but everybody
said they had a wonderful time and would like
to do it again someday.
    The mission conference ended, with the church
taking us on for support, and we said our farewells.
The church also gave us a generous love offering,
but I was unable to get the check cashed before we
left town. I thought we had enough money and gas
to make it home, but I was wrong. About seventyfive
miles from home, I ran out of cash, and the gas
tank was nearly empty.
    I asked my wife and children if anyone had any
money, but they all said no. I asked them to look
around the car for any money that we had dropped
or misplaced. They all searched diligently. Then
Angie said, “Let me look in my waist purse.” There
was some money in it. When all the teens had gone
to the theme park, the mission pastor’s children had
asked Angie to hold their money for them in her
purse. Fortunately, they didn’t spend all the money,
and Angie had forgotten to return it. I was very glad,
for there was enough money to allow us to buy fuel
to get home.
    We were rejoicing in the Lord that He had supplied
this need. The next day I called the mission
pastor and explained to him what happened and said
I was going to send the children’s money back by
mail that day. The pastor objected, “Don’t you do
such a thing. You keep that money. I believe it was
meant for you.” I thanked him, and we said our farewells.
The Lord works in mysterious ways, doesn’t
He?

(Copyright by Jay B Ayers)

No comments:

Post a Comment